Thanks to support from the UNHCR Representation for the Nordic and Baltic Countries to empower disabled refugees in Sweden the Independent Living Institute was able to carry out five workshops with the goal of strengthening disabled refugees in their integration process. The CRPD is one of the main tools for ILIs operation. Through the CRPD ILI promotes self-determination and participation, upon which the workshop meetings were based.
A total of five events were prepared and successfully carried out during the fall of 2021 for training and empowerment of the 45 refugees who took part in the different events. The languages used in the various events were Swedish, English, Amharic, Tigrinya, Arabic and Persian. Here is a list of the events that were held with the number of participants during October and November:
- 26/10 – Disabled Women – Proud Mothers – 6 persons
- 27/10 – Self-determination and the CRPD – 6 persons
- 15/11 – Culture and the concept of disability – 10 persons
- 19/11 – Swedish disability movement – why do we need each other and Covid? – 4 persons
- 27-28/11 – Arabic network meeting – 19 persons